Located approximately 10 miles west of Gardner and 50 miles from Boston, Templeton is situated 100 feet above sea level and covers approximately 20,000 acres. Originally laid out in 1733 as Narragansett #6, Templeton was first settled as a result of military soldiers being promised lands in the area following the war against the Narragansett Indians which terminated in 1675. It was not until 50 years later, however, in 1728, the promised lands were finally granted, and in 1733, those lands settled by the first families of the township. In 1762 the township was Incorporated as Templeton; the name changed to Templeton in 1764.
The town’s first framed house was reportedly built in 1760 on Dolbear Hill by Zacchius Barrett; the second home, the Joshua Wright Tavern in 1763.
Templeton Center is home to several of the town’s historic buildings, including the First Church of Templeton, originally erected as the town’s meeting house in 1811; the Narragansett Historical Society brick building built in 1810 by John Stiles (and established as the town’s Historical Society in 1934); the Silas Stone house built in 1770, now occupied by Country Mischief; and the Blodgett Building, originally built by Artemas Lee in 1829 as a family residence, sold to the Percival Blodgett family in 1870 and now home to Templeton’s Ice Cream Barn and the Country Store, as well as apartments above those stores.
Also, the Center is home to the Boynton Public Library built in 1885; The Unitarian First Church started in 1832 and once situated between the library and the First Church Parsonage , taken down in the mid 1900s,; the Templeton Inn (built in 1820 and destroyed by fire in 1888); the Landlord’s Inn, built on site of the Templeton Inn in 1900, now site of the Templeton Center Fire Station; and the Grange Hall, originally John Boynton’s and David Whitcomb’s tin shop, purchased by the Grange in 1897 and now owned by the Narragansett Historical Society.
What is now Patriots Road was where businesses of Templeton Center first flourished, including the Bourn, Hadley and Company Factory (behind the Candle Lite Pond), established in the early 1800s (later to become the Conant Ball Co.) and now occupied by Glenwood Kitchen Co.; The Ware River Railroad Freight Station, located in the area of the former Conant Ball Co., started in the area in 1873 and taken down in 2002; and Peter Thomas’ Blacksmith Shop on Baldwinville Road (later to become the Henshaw Family Home)
*Excerpts taken from: Images of America – Templeton by Harry Aldrich, Jr. & Brian P. Tanguay for the NHS, copyright 2004 Arcadia; The Story of Templeton compiled by Elizabeth Wellington Lord and edited by Ethel M. Eaton, Sponsored by NHS; and the History of Templeton, published by Dove 1888.