East Templeton Center’s most notable landmarks included the East Templeton Methodist Church (built in 1843), now occupied by Steeple Antiques and the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) building built in 1880 by Captain Parkhurst , now site of JK Crossroads Restaurant. The GAR building was a three story grand structure, the first floor home to the Center’s post office and cooperative store, a grand hall occupying the 2nd floor and used for dances and events, and the third floor, a lodge room used by the GAR. The Octagon House, still seen in the center, was built in 1860 by T. T. Greenwood.
Powered by water, the first business in the village was the East Templeton Sawmill built in 1743. The first families reportedly to build in the village were Elias Wilder and Charles Baker in 1751 and Timothy Chase in 1752.
Other businesses in the village, now gone, included the Greenwood & Wright Chair Shop (built in 1849 on Mechanic Street); the Higley and Fales Factory (at the end of Pleasant Street, which burned down in 1886); the Bay State Metal Wheel Company, which was eventually sold to Hedstrom Union; and the East Templeton Chair Company on Sawyer Street, destroyed by fire in 1880.
Historically speaking, Partridgeville (aka Southeast Plantation or “Mine Hill”) is reportedly the earliest settlement of the village. The oldest house in the village was that of Olver Brown. Other early families of the village included the Ezekiel Knowlton family, the Merritts and the Sawyers, coming into the village between 1785 and 1790.
*Excerpts taken from: Images of America – Templeton by Harry Aldrich, Jr. & Brian P. Tanguay for the NHS, copyright 2004 Arcadia; The Story of Templeton compiled by Elizabeth Wellington Lord and edited by Ethel M. Eaton, Sponsored by NHS; and the History of Templeton, published by Dove 1888.